John H. Knox
Henry C. Lauerman Professor of International Law
Books and Book Chapters
- The Evolution of Environmental Rights (in progress).
- Diagonal Environmental Rights, in Universal Human Rights and Extraterritorial Obligations (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2010).
- The Flawed Trail Smelter Procedure, in Transboundary Harms in International Law: Lessons from the Trail Smelter Arbitration (Cambridge University Press, 2006). http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=665682
- The International Law of Biodiversity, in Biodiversity: Addressing a Global Issue Locally (Environmental Law Institute, 2005).
- Greening NAFTA: The North American Commission for Environmental Cooperation, (Stanford University Press, 2003), co-authored with David L. Markell. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=453180
- Establishing the Duties of Corporations Under HumanRights Law, in Corporations and Human Rights (Radu Mares ed., 2012) (forthcoming).
- A Presumption Against Extrajurisdictionality, 104 American Journal of International Law 351 (2010). http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1657126
- Neglected Lessons of the NAFTA Environmental Regime, 45 Wake Forest L. Rev. 391 (2010).
- Climate Change and Human Rights Law, 50 Virginia Journal of International Law 163 (2009). http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1480120.
- Linking Human Rights and Climate Change at the United Nations, 33 Harvard Environmental Law Review 477 (2009). http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1457793
Horizontal Human Rights Law, 102 American Journal of International Law 1 (2008). http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1014381
The Boundary Waters Treaty: Ahead of Its Time, and Ours, 54 Wayne Law Review 1591 (2008). http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1371209
The Judicial Resolution of Conflicts Between Trade and the Environment, 28 Harvard Environmental Law Review 1 (2004).
Separated at Birth: The North American Agreements on Labor and the Environment, 26 Loyola International and Comparative Law Review 101 (2004).
The Legal Framework for Addressing Climate Change, 12 Penn State Environmental Law Review 135 (2004).
Assessing the Candidates for a Global Treaty on Transboundary Environmental Impact Assessment, 12 N.Y.U. Environmental Law Journal 153 (2003).
The Myth and Reality of Transboundary Environmental Impact Assessment, 96 American Journal of International Law 291 (2002).
A New Approach to Compliance with International Environmental Law: the Submissions Procedure of the NAFTA Environmental Commission, 28 Ecology Law Quarterly 1 (2001).
Case Notes and Book Reviews
- Natural Resources Defense Council v. Environmental Protection Agency, 101 American Journal of International Law 471 (2007).
- Review of Gary Hufbauer & Jeffrey Schott, NAFTA Revisited, for Global Law Books, available at http://www.globallawbooks.org/reviews/detail.asp?id=236 (posted 2007).
- The 2005 Activity of the NAFTA Tribunals, 100 American Journal of International Law 429 (2006).
- The Case of the MIssing Paradigm, 32 Texas International Law Journal 355 (1997) (review of Samuel Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations).